Replay Required For Third Round Progression
By Tom Dowsett
Monday 08 Jan 2018 12:32:00
Browse all Match Reports articles


Taking four points from two games and a place in the Emirates FA Cup fourth round would have made it a perfect week for West Ham United, but they will have to wait and see what happens in the replay, as they could only manage a goalless draw with Shrewsbury Town at Montgomery Waters Meadow on Sunday afternoon.

Declan Rice, Winston Reid, Angelo Ogbonna, Arthur Masuaku, Pedro Obiang, Cheikhou Kouyaté and Javier Hernandez all retained their places from Thursday night's starting line-up, while Joe Hart was named as captain and there were also starts for Reece Burke, Josh Cullen and André Ayew.

David Moyes was short of options in his squad and was forced to include a number of the club's youngsters on the bench, with Antonio Martinez and Domingos Quina appearing as late substitutes.

It was clear to see that the three game schedule over the past week was taking its toll on the Hammers, as they struggled to get into any sort of rhythm.

Cullen was impressive throughout and delivered a cross which should have resulted in Kouyaté giving his side the early advantage with just nine minutes gone but his header wasn't powerful enough to beat goalkeeper Dean Henderson.

The home side started the brighter and had a great chance on 26 minutes, as Shaun Whalley sent his freekick into the area and Norwich City loanee Ben Godfrey helped it towards goal but fortunately, Hart saw it all the way and made the save.

Shrewsbury tested Hart twice more before the break. Firstly, Mat Sadler ran through the visiting defence and aimed towards goal and then, the England stopper kept Alex Rodman at bay.

When referee Paul Tierney blew the whistle for half-time, the Irons knew that they would have to do more in order to progress, whereas Paul Hirst's side were dreaming of causing a major shock.

There were few chances in the second-half as the home side started to tail off, while West Ham weren't going to let themselves be embarrassed by the side from Sky Bet League One.

After scoring a great goal to put the Irons at Wembley on Thursday, Obiang was keen to see if he could replicate that and came the closest to finding a winner but dragged his effort wide of Henderson's goal.

On 71 minutes, Moyes decided it was time to hand Martinez his debut, so he came on in place of Hernandez.

Winston Reid picked up an ankle injury and with four minutes of normal time to play, Quina replaced the defender.

Four extra minutes were added on at the end of the game but neither side were able to find a winner, meaning both will be in the draw before doing it all again in Stratford, where the home side will be hoping to make it through.

Before these two meet again though, it's back to Premier League action on Saturday with a trip to the John Smith's Stadium next up for the Hammers, as they take on newly-promoted Huddersfield Town.

Discuss this story in our forum. It's quick and easy to register.

To rate this article select the number of stars you think perfectly rates this article.
Current overall rating after 0 votes: 0.00
Are You A Potential FansOnline Site Manager?
If you would like to run a site for a team not already featured on FansOnline, please get in touch and we will be happy to create the site for you.

Click here to contact us if you have what it takes to become a fansonline site manager

Advertise On
Showcase your products and services to our members at some of the best rates in the industry.

With various advertising opportunities and placements why not get in touch to discuss your requirements today?

Click here to contact us to discuss your advertising needs.

Fansonline Home | About Fansonline | Contact Fansonline | Privacy Policy | TOS

Copyright © 2008 to 2020 Ltd Ltd
Brentnall Center
Gilkes Street