Hammers Draw Breaks Leicester Jinx
By Tom Dowsett
Saturday 25 Nov 2017 13:21:00
Browse all Match Reports articles


In recent seasons, Leicester City have done the double over West Ham United but the Foxes had to settle for a share of the points when they made the trip to Stratford on Friday night, as the game ended 1-1.

David Moyes made one change from the team that lost to Watford last Sunday, as captain Mark Noble dropped to the bench in favour of Arthur Masuaku.

The Hammers have often had a habit of falling behind early in games this campaign and although they made a bright start, the same happened again.

With only eight minutes gone, Angelo Ogbonna's error allowed Jamie Vardy to cross the ball into the area and Marc Albrighton finished past Joe Hart.

Claude Puel's side then took control and could have extended their advantage when Vardy looked to pile more misery on a side who went into this game in the relegation zone but Marko Arnautovic defended brilliantly to prevent any danger.

Soon after, the hosts turned defence into attack but unfortunately, Masuaku's purposeful run was brought to an abrupt end and they were awarded a freekick.

Manuel Lanzini stepped up but his effort was saved spectacularly by Kasper Schmeichel.

Leicester asked question after question of the Irons but their defence stood firm as Hart kept out Rityad Mahrez.

Cheikhou Kouyaté was guilty of missing some great chances at Vicarage Road last time out and he squandered another opportunity here when he headed wide, following an excellent cross from Aaron Cresswell.

However, when the next chance came his way, he took full advantage as he rose to meet Lanzini's corner which actually took a deflection off Danny Simpson's head and past his own goalkeeper. Nevertheless, it brought joy and relief to the majority inside the stadium and made the half-time team talk easier for Moyes.

At the break, the home side surely would have been pleased to level matters.

West Ham weren't going to stop there either as, minutes after the teams had reemerged, they were pushing to go in front but Schmeichel grabbed hold of Masuaku's effort.

Arnautovic was having his best game in a West Ham shirt and just after the hour mark he met another Lanzini corner but was unable to claim his first goal since making the move to the East End from Stoke City in the summer. Instead, he sent his effort inches wide.

Six minutes later, he seemed to have some trouble with his calf so Moyes replaced him with André Ayew.

As the game entered its closing stages, Ayew had the chance to turn one point into three but his acrobatic effort went over.

The game was held up for long periods in the second-half so, a further six minutes were added as West Ham still went in search of that elusive winner.

With four minutes of time still to play, Moyes decided to put Diafra Sakho on in place of Masuaku.

The home side were still going forward when referee Martin Atkinson blew his whistle and although they didn't win, everyone at least gave it all they could.

The games now come thick and fast starting with a trip to Everton next Wednesday.

Discuss this story in our forum. It's quick and easy to register.

To rate this article select the number of stars you think perfectly rates this article.
Current overall rating after 0 votes: 0.00
Are You A Potential FansOnline Site Manager?
If you would like to run a site for a team not already featured on FansOnline, please get in touch and we will be happy to create the site for you.

Click here to contact us if you have what it takes to become a fansonline site manager

Advertise On Fansonline.net
Showcase your products and services to our members at some of the best rates in the industry.

With various advertising opportunities and placements why not get in touch to discuss your requirements today?

Click here to contact us to discuss your advertising needs.

Fansonline Home | About Fansonline | Contact Fansonline | Privacy Policy | TOS

Copyright © 2008 to 2020 Fansonline.net Ltd
FansOnline.net Ltd
Brentnall Center
Gilkes Street