Transfer Window Report
By Tom Dowsett
Friday 01 Feb 2013 13:05:00
Browse all Feature Articles articles

In comparison to previous transfer deadline days, this was a fairly quiet one for West Ham United, with no big names coming in.

Before starting to improve his first-team squad, manager Sam Allardyce captured Irish youngster Sean Maguire from Waterford United when the January transfer window first opened. The first senior player to arrive through the door at Upton Park was the return of Academy graduate Joe Cole in a permanent deal from Liverpool. There then followed another deal later that day, as the club confirmed that Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh had agreed a loan deal until the end of the season.

Later in the month, there was plenty of speculation that the Hammers were on the verge of signing Wellington Paulista from Brazilian club Cruzeiro in another loan deal with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

Then, in the first-half of the game at Sunderland the following day, James Collins had to be replaced after picking up a hamstring problem. From that point on, Big Sam had become desperate to strengthen his options in defence. Things seemed to get worse for the manager as in his team's next game against Arsenal substitute Dan Potts suffered concussion. Reports last Sunday morning claimed that Stephen Warnock was having a medical at Upton Park and could be signing in the following days, however there appeared to be a saga with this deal too. Just as the former Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers defender looked to be heading to East London, npower Championship outfit Leeds United had tabled a more secure offer for the player at the Elland Roas club. He decided to opt for a move to Yorkshire instead of London.

While it appeared that Warnock was on his way to the club, a report by Germans newspaper Bild later that morning claimed that Emmanuel Pogatetz could also be moving to the capital and luckily by 9pm on Monday night, the deal for the former Middlesbrough man had been concluded.

Throughout January there has been plenty of talk about a possible move for Mohamed Diame, who only joined the Hammers in the summer. It appeared that when he signed for the East London club a minimum fee release clause of £3.5 million was included in his contract and this alerted several clubs, most prominantly London rivals Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur. However, after they had faced the Gunners the previous night, a statement from Diame appeared on West Ham's official website, claiming that he wanted to stay in East London. Despite this the rumours kept persisting and in his press conference ahead of Wednesday night's visit to Fulham, Allardyce claimed that he wasn't sure whether the player would remain with the club beyond the end of the month.

Later that evening, another piece of transfer speculation came to light. A report on the Daily Mail's website that evening claimed that a deal had been agreed to bring Paul Robinson to Upton Park from Blackburn Rovers with Steven Henderson going in the other direction.

By Wednesday morning, there was even more confusion over the Diame saga. It was reported that a BBC journalist had posted on his twitter feed that the Senegalese midfielder was about to sign a new deal with West Ham, therefore removing his release clause but this never came to fruition and the speculation over whether he would stay at the club continued.

On transfer deadline day itself, despite all the speculation, very little happened. At around 4pm yesterday afternoon the Hammers did confirm that they had signed two youngsters in the shape of czech under-19 goalkeeper Vit Nemrava on an  18-month loan deal from FC Slovacko and Swedish under-17 international Rinor Nushi.

The first mention of any movement involving a senior player from the Boleyn ground came just after 5pm when it appeared that the part exchange deal involving Robinson and Henderson was off because the Rovers couldn't agree a settlement for the former England international to leave Ewood Park. Henderson still left East London as he was snapped up again by Ipswich Town to rejoin the club on loan until the end of the season.

Following reports that summer signing Alou Diarra felt that a guarantee of first-team football at West Ham had been promised to him but was disappointed that, after a long-term injury, he was mainly used as a squad player, he has moved back to his native France to join up with Ligue 1 side Rennes for the remainder of the season.

Finally, a breaking news line last night showed that an unnamed Premier League club had tabled a bid for Diame, but after reporters from Sky Sports News has checked with the club whether there was any truth in the rumour, co-chairman David Sullivan confirmed that he would be staying at Upton Park. Now that the windows closed, it remains to be seen whether he will sign a new deal for the club.

Discuss this story in our forum. It's quick and easy to register.


Shop in the West Ham store


To rate this article select the number of stars you think perfectly rates this article.
Current overall rating after 0 votes: 0.00
Are You A Potential FansOnline Site Manager?
If you would like to run a site for a team not already featured on FansOnline, please get in touch and we will be happy to create the site for you.

Click here to contact us if you have what it takes to become a fansonline site manager

Advertise On
Showcase your products and services to our members at some of the best rates in the industry.

With various advertising opportunities and placements why not get in touch to discuss your requirements today?

Click here to contact us to discuss your advertising needs.

Fansonline Home | About Fansonline | Contact Fansonline | Privacy Policy | TOS

Copyright © 2008 to 2019 Ltd Ltd
Brentnall Center
Gilkes Street