First Away Win Clinched at Loftus Road
By Tom Dowsett
Tuesday 02 Oct 2012 13:31:00
Browse all Match Reports articles

After being unbeaten in the league at Upton Park so far this season, West Ham United are finally up and running on the road in the Barclays Premier League as they produced a dominant performance to beat London rivals Queens Park Rangers on Monday night. Though Rangers produced a 3D version of their match day programme, their performance was somewhat 2D!

Sam Allardyce only had to make one change to the team that played the last league game at home to Sunderland. Matthew Taylor had suffered a minor injury in training and, despite press reports earlier in the day that Matt Jarvis would not be guaranteed regular starting place, he was a ready made replacement in midfield.

Earlier in the day Sky Sports News had reported that Andy Carroll was set for a start on the bench, these reports proved to be true as he took his place amongst the substitutes.

The Hammers started well and went ahead as early as the 3rd minute when Jarvis netted his first goal for the East Londoners. He was set up following a good passing move between Ricardo Vaz Te and captain Kevin Nolan. The skipper's effort was going wide before the £10.75m winger was able to guide it past Julio Cesar.

West Ham continued to dominate but couldn't increase their lead and on 20 minutes they suffered a further blow when Winston Reid accidentally clashed with Hammers' stopper Jussi Jaaskelainen. After several minutes of treatment in which a stretcher and backboard was called for, Reid was replaced by James Tomkins. The New Zealand international should be okay for Saturday evening's home clash against another London rival as Arsenal arrive at Upton Park.

Allardyce was forced into another change, bringing on George McCartney for the injured Joey O'Brien. On the pitch his team went further ahead through a goal from Vaz Te on his 26th birthday. When Mark Noble won a freekick, he sent it in and, though Carlton Cole couldn't quite finish it, Tomkins was able to grab possession, cross the ball over and the Portuguese frontman volleyed it in past the helpless Cesar. The Sky Sports cameras caught a glimpse of former Hammers and QPR substitute keeper Robert Green who looked less than impressed by the manner in which his side conceded the goal.

On 38 minutes, West Ham won a corner after the ball had been headed behind by Nolan but it caused no danger as it was cleared and the home side were able to break through Shaun Wright-Phillips. As Mohamed Diame tried to keep up with him he brought down the former Chelsea man and was one of eight West Ham players booked by a card happy Mark Clattenburg.

The 2nd half started and the visitors continued from where they left off. On 48 minutes they had an excellent chance to go further ahead when Nolan unselfishly set up Diame, whose powerful shot was unfortunately beaten away by Cesar.

On 57 minutes, little more than a minute after Mark Hughes sent on Adel Taarabt for Wright-Phillips, he halved the deficit with a brilliant strike which Jaaskelainen watch fly past him.

Nine minutes later, in an effort to try and find an equaliser, Alejandro Faurlin came close when he dropped his shoulder and produced a powerful shot that brought an equally impressive save from Jaaskelainen, who was booked shortly after for time-wasting when taking a goal kick.

The East Londoners had the chance to seal the 3 points  when Nolan set up Cole who sent his shot a yard wide on 67 minutes.

Nine minutes later, Big Sam made his final change as Carroll replaced Cole.

With fifteen minutes to play, and just short of twenty minutes after being brought on, Samba Diakite received a second yellow after sliding in on Guy Demel and was promptly sent off for the second time in his career with the West London outfit. Since the former Wales boss took over at Loftus Road, 7 players have been red-carded.

It didn't take long for Caroll to make an impact on the game; firstly Vaz Te took a freekick and found Jarvis who crossed for the on loan Liverpool man but it was headed out for a corner, from which he just missed out as his effort hit the bar.

On 79 minutes, the ball dropped to Vaz Te from a cross and he had time to shoot from 18 yards out but it was superbly saved by Cesar in the home goal.

In an uneventful second half in terms of injuries, 6 minutes were added to the 5 minutes signalled in the first half, with West Ham producing a couple of stunning saves out of Cesar and Clattenburg still finding time to book two more West Ham players before the final whistle was blown. The Hammers can now look forward to another London Derby on Saturday evening hoping to continue their current run of form.

Discuss this story in our forum. It's quick and easy to register.


Shop in the West Ham store


To rate this article select the number of stars you think perfectly rates this article.
Current overall rating after 0 votes: 0.00
Are You A Potential FansOnline Site Manager?
If you would like to run a site for a team not already featured on FansOnline, please get in touch and we will be happy to create the site for you.

Click here to contact us if you have what it takes to become a fansonline site manager

Advertise On
Showcase your products and services to our members at some of the best rates in the industry.

With various advertising opportunities and placements why not get in touch to discuss your requirements today?

Click here to contact us to discuss your advertising needs.

Fansonline Home | About Fansonline | Contact Fansonline | Privacy Policy | TOS

Copyright © 2008 to 2020 Ltd Ltd
Brentnall Center
Gilkes Street