Hammers Suffer Cup Exit
By Tom Dowsett
Wednesday 26 Sep 2012 12:38:00
Browse all Match Reports articles

West Ham United suffered their first home defeat of the season on Tuesday night and are consequently out of the Capital One Cup after losing to Wigan Athletic 4-1.

From the side that drew 1-1 with Sunderland on Saturday, only Mark Noble, who was captain for the night in place of Kevin Nolan, and Ricardo Vaz Te started the game. Stephen Henderson, James Tomkins, George McCartney, Dan Potts, Gary O'Neil, Matt Jarvis, who made his full home debut after appearing off the bench against the Black Cats, and Modibo Maiga all came in. There were also starts for Jordan Spence and Robert Hall.

The Hammers went ahead as early as the 7th minute, following some terrible defensive play by the visitors which allowed  Maiga to race clear and slot the ball into the net to give the home side the perfect start.

Although West Ham had chances to increase their lead, they couldn't take them and were subsequently punished on 14 minutes by a great goal from Wigan's Mauro Boselli.

The Hammers then continued to pile pressure on their opponents in an effort to regain their advantage. On 21 minutes Hall raced clear of a Wigan defender but his powerful shot nestled in the side netting rather than in the bottom corner, then 7 minutes later Spence's shot, from the edge of the box, was pushed past the post by Lactics' goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi.

On 38 minutes, Wigan took the lead with a spectacular effort from one-time West Ham transfer target, Ivan Ramis, as he unleashed a powerful shot past Henderson.

Within 3 minutes of that effort going in they extended their advantage and it was Boselli again ; he was given room by the Hammers' defence to smash a shot past the Irish keeper.

The 2nd half started with the Hammers trying to get themselves back into the game in the early stages after the break, but nothing was coming off for them. On 62 minutes Sam Allardyce decided to make a change as Vaz Te was brought off and replaced by Matthias Fanimo.

With the hosts having not been able to find a way back in, 10 minutes later another change was made as Noble was replaced by Matthew Taylor.

Minutes later, Hall continued to be a threat when he hit the crossbar after being put through on goal by Spence with a fantastic pass.

Soon after, referee Craig Pawson awarded Wigan a penalty after Henderson had brought down James McArthur. Before the spot kick could be taken, West Ham made a final change. Gary O'Neil was brought off injured and Dylan Tombides came on for his 1st club appearance.

4 minutes of stoppage time were signalled, but in truth there was no way the Hammers were going to force this tie into extra time. The final whistle blew and West Ham had made an early exit from this this competition. They will now have to wait until Monday evening before they make the trip to Loftus Road to face Queens Park Rangers.

Discuss this story in our forum. It's quick and easy to register.


Shop in the uptonsparks.com West Ham store


To rate this article select the number of stars you think perfectly rates this article.
Current overall rating after 0 votes: 0.00
Are You A Potential FansOnline Site Manager?
If you would like to run a site for a team not already featured on FansOnline, please get in touch and we will be happy to create the site for you.

Click here to contact us if you have what it takes to become a fansonline site manager

Advertise On Fansonline.net
Showcase your products and services to our members at some of the best rates in the industry.

With various advertising opportunities and placements why not get in touch to discuss your requirements today?

Click here to contact us to discuss your advertising needs.

Fansonline Home | About Fansonline | Contact Fansonline | Privacy Policy | TOS

Copyright © 2008 to 2020 Fansonline.net Ltd
FansOnline.net Ltd
Brentnall Center
Gilkes Street