Posh Double Done, Now For Promotion
By Tom Dowsett
Wednesday 28 Mar 2012 12:16:00
Browse all Match Reports articles

It's been mentioned on the official website for some weeks now and on Tuesday night West Ham United finally equalled a club record of 11 away wins in a season as they beat Peterborough United 2-0 at London Road. The win leaves them 1 point behind 2nd placed Reading, whom they face at Upton Park on Saturday afternoon.

Sam Allardyce made two changes to the team that came from behind to snatch a point against Burnley last Saturday, with Ricardo Vaz Te being restored to the starting line-up after recovering from a hamstring injury in place of Jack Collison, and Abdoulaye Faye returned after he also missed the weekend's game due to a training injury sustained on Friday. Danny Collins was the player who made way for him.

Peterborough had the better of the first half and could have gone ahead in the opening minute. Good play from George Boyd found Paul Taylor, who tried an effort but George McCartney blocked well before finally Lee Tomlin fired in an effort which was well held by Robert Green.

The home side put the Hammers under pressure and this time came within inches of finding the net, as the home side's Taylor tried another shot which beat Green but came back off the crossbar.

Although Darren Ferguson's side had the better of the opening stages, the Hammers then started to assert a degree of control on the game but the half ended goalless.

Article continues below






Just before the second half got underway, Big Sam, as he did on Saturday, had to make a double change. Paul Taylor and Faye were involved in a clash of heads just before half time and the big Senegalese man came off worse and was replaced by Collins. Joey O'Brien was also struggling and he was then replaced by the returning Julien Faubert.

On 52 minutes West Ham took the lead when good play from McCartney and Matthew Taylor set up Vaz Te to head past Paul Jones.

Soon after, the Hammers scored again when Gary O'Neil was given space and sent a curling shot into the net to beat Jones once again and had the Hammers' fans really believing that they could get 3 points for the first time since the trip to Cardiff City on 4 March.

Only a superb save from Green prevented the Posh from pulling a goal back on 66 minutes when Craig Alcock found some room to shoot and his effort was tipped around the post.

A minute later, the visitors came mightily close to scoring a third when skipper Kevin Nolan's flick looped over Jones, only to come back off the crossbar.

On 85 minutes McCartney almost grabbed another goal for the Hammers but Jones just averted the danger.

As the game was reaching its climax both teams made a change. Allardyce brought on Nicky Maynard to replace O'Neill while the hosts replaced Lee Frecklington with former Hammer Daniel Kearns.

With five minutes of stoppage time being signalled at the end of the 90 and consequently negotiated without any problems, the Hammers ended their run of draws with a well executed performance, meaning I once again have the bragging rights until, at least, the next time the two teams meet.

Discuss this story in our forum. It's quick and easy to register.

To rate this article select the number of stars you think perfectly rates this article.
Current overall rating after 0 votes: 0.00
Are You A Potential FansOnline Site Manager?
If you would like to run a site for a team not already featured on FansOnline, please get in touch and we will be happy to create the site for you.

Click here to contact us if you have what it takes to become a fansonline site manager

Advertise On Fansonline.net
Showcase your products and services to our members at some of the best rates in the industry.

With various advertising opportunities and placements why not get in touch to discuss your requirements today?

Click here to contact us to discuss your advertising needs.

Fansonline Home | About Fansonline | Contact Fansonline | Privacy Policy | TOS

Copyright © 2008 to 2020 Fansonline.net Ltd
FansOnline.net Ltd
Brentnall Center
Gilkes Street