More away day blues for U's as Cumbrians punish slack defending
By Daniel Jolly
Tuesday 16 Mar 2010 10:45:00
Browse all Match Reports articles

Poor away form in 2010 continued on Saturday as Carlisle gained revenge for their defeat earlier in the season.

Aidy Boothroyd rang the changes for the trip to Cumbria as Ian Henderson, Ashley Vincent, David Fox and Kevin Lisbie came into the side. Anthony Wordsworth, Clive Platt and John Joe O-Toole had to settle for a place on the bench as Aidy attempted to arrest a run of poor form.

Those changes seemed to make an impact as the visitors enjoy the best of the chances early on. In the opening minute, David Fox's long range effort went just over the bar. Just three minutes later, Kayode Odejayi took advantage the home defence's failure to clear and set up Kevin Lisbie, whose volley was palmed over by Adam Collin. Ashley Vincent, making his first start since September, came closest next as he was inches away from connecting with a corner.

Carlisle soon came back into the game though as on-loan striker Jason Price went close twice but it looked like the game would turn in the visitors favour just before the break. After picking up an earlier booking, midfielder Tom Taiwo was dismissed after a strong challenge on Ian Henderson.

It was the U's who went close after the restart before Lisbie curled an effort just wide, as two players waited in the area. As the half wore on though, the home side were having the best of the play, with the full backs causing the most danger.

The visitors intentions were clear though soon after as Phil Ifil and Clive Platt, replaced Odejayi and Vincent and the former of the replacements made an immediate impact as his cross fell to David Prutton, whose effort was well saved by home keeper Collin.

Platt wasnt to be overshadowed, and he put the visitors in the lead after 68 minutes. Ben Marshall's clearance deflected back into the home penalty box off Marc Tierney, and Clive Platt calmly tapped home.

Joy was shortlived though as it was 1-1 just two minutes later.  The dangerous Price got past David Prutton too easily and he set up the unmarked Stoke loanee Marshall to tap home.

The home side continued to press for a winner and Matty Robson's drive hit the bar, before they were rewarded with the winner five minutes later. After Richard Keogh was allowed too much time and space on the right, his cross was turned home by Price, aided by a slight deflection off Matt Heath.

There was a chance for Platt to add to his tally, but Evan Horwood's block denied the frontman, as the Cumbrians held on for the win.

Final Score- Carlisle 2-1 Colchester

Carlisle: Collin, Keogh, Livesey,Horwood,Harte, Hurst(Marshall 51), Kavanagh(Thirlwell 89), Taiwo, Clayton, Robson,Price.

Subs not used: Gillespie, Murphy, Kane, Bridge-Wilkinson,Offiong.

Colchester: Williams, White, Okuonghae, Heath, Tierney, Vincent(Ifil 61), Henderson(Wordsworth 46), Prutton, Fox, Odejayi(Platt 61), Lisbie.

Subs not used: Cousins, Batth, O'Toole, Gillespie.

Referee: Jock Waugh

Attendance: 4,469.



To rate this article select the number of stars you think perfectly rates this article.
Current overall rating after 0 votes: 0.00
Are You A Potential FansOnline Site Manager?
If you would like to run a site for a team not already featured on FansOnline, please get in touch and we will be happy to create the site for you.

Click here to contact us if you have what it takes to become a fansonline site manager

Advertise On
Showcase your products and services to our members at some of the best rates in the industry.

With various advertising opportunities and placements why not get in touch to discuss your requirements today?

Click here to contact us to discuss your advertising needs.

Fansonline Home | About Fansonline | Contact Fansonline | Privacy Policy | TOS

Copyright © 2008 to 2017 Ltd Ltd
Brentnall Center
Gilkes Street